Following on from the last post about immune boosting nutrients, here are some healthy recipes containing some of the foods and nutrients that were highlighted to boost the immune system.
Brazil Nut & Berry Breakfast
Brazil nuts are by far the best dietary source of selenium, containing about 2,500 times more selenium than other nuts and providing your recommended daily allowance in just a couple of nuts. Oats provide a special type of soluble fibre called beta-glucans, which helps protect us against bacterial and viral infections. The live yoghurt in this recipe provides probiotics and the berries are an excellent source of vitamin C.
Ingredients, 2 Servings
- 6 Brazil nuts, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp raisins or sultanas
- 100g porridge oats
- 250g live, organic yoghurt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 apple
- Mix all the ingredients apart from the apple and berries thoroughly in a bowl, refrigerate overnight
- The next morning, grate the apple and stir through the mixture
- Divide between two bowls and top with berries and another dusting of cinnamon if liked
- You could also substitute the berries for beta-carotene rich fruits like mango, apricots or papaya